I don’t make resolutions at New Year’s but, I do set a few goals. One of my goals for 2014 is to finish more quilts! I hear a lot of quilters say exactly the same thing. I have no excuse except a poor use of my time. But, at first, I wasn’t sure how to accomplish this task. I thought about it for awhile and realized that I had to find out how many projects I had in the works and at what stages of completion – that being the first step. Then, I spent an hour talking to myself trying to decide if they qualified as WIPs (works in progress) or UFOs (unfinished objects) or PHDs (projects half done). I decided that if it hadn’t yet reached the flimsy stage (top complete but not quilted for my non-quilty friends) then, it was a work in progress! I have nine. More than I should but, fewer than some other quilters. Still, quite daunting. Then, I divided them into two piles. Pile One (unfortunately, the smaller pile – only 2) consisted of completed blocks that needed to be sashed and bordered. And, Pile Two, blocks that have been cut out but not completed.
I started with the project on the top of pile one. All of the blocks were done – 20 20″ blocks of wonderful orange and white squares set on point. I had originally thought to set each block on point as well but, that would have made the orange blocks look square. In truth, it was supposed to be a Granny Square. It didn’t turn out the way it was intended but, I think I like this way better.
I got all of the rows put together and was going to complete the top when I ran out of orange fabric. So, I set it aside and went on to the first project on Pile Two.
I don’t know how big this quilt is going to be. Sometimes, when I run out of fabric – that is the size it was meant to be! This is the Granny Square and I absolutely love the pink and grey!
I tried the block using white as a background and also black but, the grey just shines. So far, I have 16 blocks complete and three more cut out. But, I have loads of fabric! Then, I decided to move on to project number 2. I completed 24 of these (there are 72 in the top) but, they are big blocks and quite simple so, it is coming together quickly.
After that, I moved onto #3 – this quilt is for a charity project that the guild is working on. I belong to the Sunrise Quilt Guild in Tatamagouche, NS – a great group of ladies. This is the disappearing Nine Patch – simple, quick and fun.
I have to admit, I didn’t think that I was getting anywhere but, I guess I am. Every little bit helps.
Well, gotta go! Tomorrow is a work day!
Yours in stitches,